Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Groups/Clubs

Groups/Clubs Start a Pokemon or non-Pokemon related Group/Club for your favorite topic. Whether it's a group/club for one of the good guys like Ash, Misty, or Brock, to the villains like Team Rocket, Team Magma, and Team Aqua. Your group can be whatever you want.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:20 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: The Atheist Alliance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom0990 View Post
Sigh, I am tempted to open it up to everyone just to end this stupid argument. In fact. I will do just that. Theists can join. Happy?
Quite pleased, thank you.

Quote:
On morality, your question is still HUGE and very hard to answer for me.
I purposely made it general so that the response could start anywhere on the subject.

Quote:
Frankly. I don't get it. Or maybe I am too tired and am reading it wrong. It's a very open ended question, which I find troubling to answer. It's just that I don't know what you're asking for. The more and more I try to weave it together the more I get confused.

I guess I'd say I don't believe in any form of morality, or anything really. I guess if I hold a moral code it'd be called, you know, State and Federal Laws. If I follow any rules it'd be:

Killing is usually a bad thing.
So is stealing.
And perjury/lying... sometimes.

That sort of thing. Deontological. Sort of.... not really.
Do you believe in moral objectivity, subjectivity, or in moral nihilism?
Old 06-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Sealboy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Sealboy Send a message via MSN to Sealboy Send a message via Skype™ to Sealboy

Hm, this could be an interesting thread.

Well, yeah, Atheist here. There is no religion I believe in, therefore I consider myself an Atheist. Also, we have all this Science that explains and proves how Earth, other species and we Humans have come to be - it seems highly unlikely that one almighty being decided to create a large majority of planets, species, stars and galaxies - even space itself. And the Dinosaur bones - how can they be overlooked by Christians? Seems really unlikely that people would plant fake bones just to take a dig at religion

I have nothing against religions - I'm thrilled that people have their own opinions and beliefs; this is what makes us Human. However, I thoroughly dislike it when children are forced to be brought up in their parent's religions - it seems like, as stated before by one of you (I can't remember :L), indoctrination (yes, Mass Effect did just pop into mind). I also dislike others trying to force their religion upon you. I remember one time there was a Jehovah's Witness guy at my front door. Now, normally, my parent's, and anyone else I know, would close the door on them; I, however, listened. He wasn't forceful, he just explained their views: "What if the bible wasn't entirely true?" and "just take this leaflet and get back to us if you want". The guy made a few good points, and it didn't seem as if he was trying to "lure me to the dark side" (a joke). Funny thing was, when I had closed the door, I didn't read it - straight in the bin :') I was happy with how he wasn't trying to force me to see his point of view, didn't explain how I was wrong for not believing and so on - he just explained the group/religion and their beliefs.

This is something I'm stumped on - is it true that Atheists are viewed upon so negatively in America? In England, we have no such issues - in fact, a majority of the population are Atheist, I believe (or all of the people I know personally are).

~Sealboyno1

Click the image above to check out my YouTube Channel - it'd mean a lot.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:33 PM
DaRkUmBrEoN Offline
M.D.

Send a message via AIM to DaRkUmBrEoN Send a message via Yahoo to DaRkUmBrEoN

Quote:
I guess I'd say I don't believe in any form of morality, or anything really. I guess if I hold a moral code it'd be called, you know, State and Federal Laws. If I follow any rules it'd be:

Killing is usually a bad thing.
So is stealing.
And perjury/lying... sometimes.

That sort of thing. Deontological. Sort of.... not really.
Judicial affairs and legislation are actually 'set' morality. They stem from morals to be upheld during the era in which the law or judicial verdict was created. If you look back to i.e. same-sex marriage, it was prohibited until the early 90's in all/most sovereign states. Then people went like 'hey, they're people with rights too', and the moral view on same-sex marriage changed, leading to a change in legislation concerning marriage.
So yea, if you do believe in laws, you believe in morality as well.

And to get back to someone saying (group) animals have morality...
Well, I've to see the first horse to bring judgement upon a stallion for sleeping with another stallion's mare.

Morality is a human construct, set down to create order in life and society. It's subject to change, governed by the masses and the ever changing construct of the society it applies to. There are no universal morals, it's group, culture and time specific.

Near a tree by a river, there's a hole in the ground.
Where an old man of Aran goes around and around
Old 06-09-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkUmBrEoN View Post

And to get back to someone saying (group) animals have morality...
Well, I've to see the first horse to bring judgement upon a stallion for sleeping with another stallion's mare.

Morality is a human construct, set down to create order in life and society. It's subject to change, governed by the masses and the ever changing construct of the society it applies to. There are no universal morals, it's group, culture and time specific.
To expect a neurologically less developed species to maintain the same morality we do is unreasonable. Social animals, however, do display forms of morality and empathy. Whether or not they comply with human morals is a different matter.

It is a biological and cultural occurrence. You are, however, correct about morality's subjectivity.

Scientific research has concluded that many group animals have less developed forms of morality, empathy, and justice.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:30 AM
Phantom0990 Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Phantom0990

So, opinions?

And here's something pretty cool.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:49 AM

The legal fight over the cross is so cliche. It really gets old, and while I do disagree with the cross being placed there, I simply roll my eyes at these cases.

As for Ahlquist, I am extremely happy for her! She has demonstrated an infinite amount of patience, intelligence, and wisdom thus far. Definitely a role model, not only for young atheists, but atheists and non-atheists as a whole.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 06-10-2012 at 06:51 AM.