Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing

Creative Writing Share your fan fiction, stories, poems, essays, editorials, song lyrics, or any other related written work. All written must be your creation. Start a new thread, and keep replying to that thread as you add on more chapters. Anyone can join in at anytime.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Kamara's Avatar
Kamara Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 22
Cool Time Exploration

Chapter One
Raven peeked cautiously over the tall patch of grass. She was hunting in the forest she called home. Mom told her that the humans called it Kinleaf, but she rarely saw humans this deep in the forest. She was in her secret area, where the trees seem more alive and there are more Pokemon scurrying about.

She waited patiently behind the grass and soon her patience was rewarded. An oblivious Rattatta soon came bounding over in her view. The purple rat sat up on its hindlegs, sniffed the air, and laid back down to eat the grass.

“Now’s the time,” she said, smirking. At that, the young Houndour pounced.
Rattatta shrieked and attempted to flee. Raven was faster and within seconds, had Rattatta by its neck between her teeth. Raven applied pressure to the neck and Rattatta’s body went limp. She dropped the dead rat on the ground and set it ablaze with her flamethrower. When she saw that the body was brown and toasted, she set to work on devouring it.

When she was finished, Raven licked her fangs and then turned to the sky. It was near sun-down. She could tell because the sun was setting over the horizon.

“Whoa, better get back home before mom or dad freaks,” she said, kicking the carcass to the side and running back to the trail she made between home and her hideout. The path was a set of trees which was marked by a pair of burnt marks.

“That’s weird,” she said as she reached the spot. Not a single tree in the area had a mark. Each of them were as clean and bare as the ones beside them. “I could have sworn it was right here.”

Raven paced back and forth in a scurrying attempt to find the starting trees, but still could not find it. After a while, she laid down on the ground. I..I can’t be lost she thought. I clearly marked the trees with my flamethrower She scanned the area while laying down. Her curiousity peeked suddenly when she saw something sticking out from between a set of trees.

Raven trotted over to the set of trees and discovered a small grey rock about two feet tall and three feet wide. Why would there be a rock in the middle of the forest? she wondered. Cautiously, Raven tried to headbutt it. Surprisingly, the rock moved foreward, but then an Earthquake shook the area.

“Whoa,” Raven exclaimed, trying to hold on as the ground rumbled violently. The rock shattered and then four walls shot up and boxed her in.
__________________

Made by me.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-28-2012, 01:40 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Route 1
Posts: 8,137
Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah
Default Re: Time Exploration

I like your story so far! You have some good descriptions like when describing Raven's meal and the rock, but I think it would be good if you could add a bit more detail. I'd like to know what Raven looks like, you did say she was a Houndour, but is there anything special about her appearance? Even if there isn't, it might be good to describe what she looks like. ^^ Same with the forest, it might help to set the scene a bit more, like is it a damp rainforest or an open forest with lots of spread out trees or an old forest full of gnarled plants? etc.

Maybe you could try using some other senses in your descriptions too. I think Houndour would have a great sense of smell, so maybe describing the smell of the cooked Rattata would have added to the story.

Other than that, your story sounds interesting so far! I look forward to the next chapter! =) Plus Houndour are awesome!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-29-2012, 12:37 AM
Grassy_Aggron's Avatar
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I...I don't know! WHERE DO I LIVE?!
Posts: 8,809
Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron
Default Re: Time Exploration

Quote:
She was in her secret area, where the trees seem more alive and there are more Pokemon scurrying about.
You switched from past tense (was) to present tense (seem and are). This makes the sentence seem disjointed. Try changing it to "seemed" and "were" ;)

Quote:
An oblivious Rattatta soon came bounding over in her view.
"Rattata"

Quote:
“Now’s the time,” she said, smirking. At that, the young Houndour pounced.
Rattatta shrieked and attempted to flee. Raven was faster and within seconds, had Rattatta by its neck between her teeth. Raven applied pressure to the neck and Rattatta’s body went limp. She dropped the dead rat on the ground and set it ablaze with her flamethrower. When she saw that the body was brown and toasted, she set to work on devouring it.
New paragraph to separate the speech. You could combine it, however, but with your flow it is probably better to keep it apart. "Rattata" is misspelled, but also, is that the name of the Pokemon? It's the name of the species. As such, it would probably be better to have "The Rattata shrieked" and such. The last "Ratatta" could be replaced by "its" so avoid naming it so much.

Depending on context, if it is the move "Flamethrower" it should be capitalized. If it merely means a stream of fire, then it doesn't need to be.


Quote:
“Whoa, better get back home before mom or dad freaks,” she said, kicking the carcass to the side and running back to the trail she made between home and her hideout. The path was a set of trees which was marked by a pair of burnt marks.
Since "Mom" and "Dad" are the names of the characters, they are capitalized. You could easily put their names in and it would work, and that's an easy way to tell if it should be capitalized. They have names, but for Raven their names are Mom and Dad.

"Marked by a pair of burnt marks", you are repeating "mark" just variations. Perhaps try "Marked by a pair of burned sections" or "Marked by a pair of burn patterns"?


Quote:
Raven paced back and forth in a scurrying attempt to find the starting trees, but still could not find it. After a while, she laid down on the ground. I..I can’t be lost she thought. I clearly marked the trees with my flamethrower She scanned the area while laying down. Her curiousity peeked suddenly when she saw something sticking out from between a set of trees.
You are missing an ellipses, a period. Always do a set of three periods "...", also, "lost" needs a comma after it. "Flamethrower" again needs to be capitalized, and a period added. "Curiosity" is also misspelled.

Quote:
Raven trotted over to the set of trees and discovered a small grey rock about two feet tall and three feet wide. Why would there be a rock in the middle of the forest? she wondered. Cautiously, Raven tried to headbutt it. Surprisingly, the rock moved foreward, but then an Earthquake shook the area.
"Forward". Also, to be honest, the whole "why is there a rock in the forest" thing...Why wouldn't there be? I think your phrasing was a bit off. Maybe add something peculiar about the rock?


Quote:
Whoa,” Raven exclaimed, trying to hold on as the ground rumbled violently. The rock shattered and then four walls shot up and boxed her in.
She exclaimed, yet there is no exclamation point? It should be "Whoa!", and it would also show more surprise and fear.




Now, this isn't a bad start to a story. I found it short, but again, you are just starting out. However, try adding more detail, making your paragraphs longer. We have no idea what Raven looks like, or what the surroundings look like. Paint a mental picture, "show don't tell". You are telling, not really giving us a good idea of what is going on.


In general, for my stories I aim for at least five sentences in a paragraph, fully detailed. I also aim for each chapter to be around seven to ten pages in Word, no double spacing. That is a good area to go for, but as for now aim for maybe two pages on Word?

I'd also recommend not leaving off on a cliffhanger for the first chapter. You didn't build up any suspense, we have no attachment to the character, and it feels incomplete in this sense. Cliffhangers are to be used when the chapter is long, but also to make the readers wonder what is going on and want to come back. Doing it too quickly or in such a short chapter really makes it feel like the chapter itself got cut in half.



That being said, I do look forward to more from you, and I hope to see you improve! If you need any help, please, feel free to contact me ^^ And, don't be put off by the review and corrections. Good criticism helps writers improve. It's the bad criticism which does nothing but hurt feelings. Good luck~
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com