Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: General Board

Pokemon: General Board General discussion about Pokemon in general. If the topic of your thread does not fall into the subjects in the other boards, post it there. In other words, everything else belongs here if it doesn't have a board of its own.

Old 05-09-2004, 08:44 PM
PokeMasterFlabface Offline
Experienced Trainer

Default Houston Gym Challenge Report

Well this was my first official tournament for the Pokemon TCG. My brother drove me and my little sister all the way to Houston from San Antonio. We didn't expect to get to the store so early, so we had to wait 2 hours till it opened. I didn't do good at all because I didn't receive my cards before the tourney date, but I made a Sceptile deck for the heck of it. Here is mine and my sisters decks:

My not so good Scepty deck

Pokemon (19)
4x Treecko (Drg)
1x Grovyle #32/109 (R/S)
3x Sceptile w/Energy Trans (R/S)
2x Sceptile Ex (TA&TM)
4x Dunsparce
2x Wobbuffet
3x Roselia (Drg)

Trainers (23)
4x Rare Candy (Sand)
3x Pokemon Nurse (Exp)
1x Copycat (Exp)
4x P.O. Research (Exp)
2x Fast Ball (Sky)
2x Crystal Shard (Sky)
2x Switch (R/S)
2x Weakness Guard (Aqu)
2x Low Pressure System (Drg)
1x Town Volunteers

Energy (18)
13x Grass
2x Boost
3x Psychic

This was the only deck I could come up with since my cards didn't come in. The main hitter is Scepty Ex, using Energy Trans and Pokemon Nurse to keep him alive. Wobbuffet is in there to go against Blaziken Exes and Muk Exes that get in my way. L.P.S. is in there to keep Blaze Ex for 1HKOing my Sceptiles on the bench.

My sisters deck

Pokemon (24)
4x Torchic (2x Dragon, 2x R/S)
1x Combusken (R/S)
3x Blaziken w/Firestarter (R/S)
2x Blaziken Ex (TA&TM)
4x Dunsparce (Sand)
2x TA Electrike (TA&TM)
2x TA Manectric (TA&TM)
2x Rayquaza Ex (Drg)
2x Skitty (R/S)
2x Delcatty w/Energy Draw (R/S)

Trainers (18)
4x Rare Candy (Sand)
4x Oracle (Sky)
2x Fast Ball (Sky)
2x Switch (R/S)
4x P.O. Research (Exp)
1x Warp Point (TA&TM)
1x Town Volunteers (Aqu)

Energy (18)
15x Fire
3x Electric

I made my sister the usual Blaziken deck around, there was only 2 other people out of a bunch that had Blaze decks. She likes Blaziken, so I couldn't stop her from wanting a RAMBO deck.

My battles:

1st Battle against RAMBO
This was one of the other RAMBO decks there at the tourney, and I was Grass so enough said. :)
Record 0-1-0

2nd Battle against Random deck
I don't know how I lost to this guys deck, but he got so lucky. It was because he took out my Scepty Ex with 5 Energies on it, slowing me down to power back up. Only if I had Energy Trans at the time. :(
Record 0-2-0

3rd Battle against Muk Ex
Thankfully I put Wobbuffet in my deck b4 the tourney, because I got him first turn. Powered him up fast, took out all of his Grimers and Muk Exs, fast game.
Record 1-2-0

4th Battle against Dragons
I fought against a kids mom, and she was pretty good. I had my Crystal Shards ready, but missed both flips for Tail Rap. Game went downhill after that for me. :(
Record 1-3-0

5th Battle against Blaze/Cargo Ex
I thought this games was going to go bad, but luckily when he got out Blaze Ex, I had a Wobbuffet waiting for him. After I took it out, he didn't have anything to back him up.
Record 2-3-0

My sisters battles:

1st Battle against Wailord/Kindra
I thought my sister was going to lose this because of Type advantage, she kept Powering up Ray for the destruction on Wailord Ex.
Record 1-0-0

2nd Battle against Alakatech
This guy had revamped this deck until it was perfect, and it proved too much for my sister. He kept copying Volcanic Ash and destroyed my sisters Blazes on the bench.
Record 1-1-0

3rd Battle against Swampert/Suicune Ex
She went against a Swampert/Suicune Ex deck, my sister couldn't get the Suicune out in time. She lost to the one of the very good people there.
Record 1-2-0

4th Battle against Gardevoir Ex
My sister had a bad starting hand, and he didn't have any Regular Gardevoirs in his deck. My sister couldn't handle trying to take out 2 to 3 Gardevoir Exs, her Blaze Exs went down for the count.
Record 1-3-0

5th Battle against Dustox/Beautifly
I thought my sister was going to win this, weak against Fire is very bad to have. But my sister didn't shuffle her deck enough, having a bad hand lost her this round.
Record 1-4-0

O well, even though we didn't win anything we still got to go to our first Official POP tourney. Man it was so much fun talking to all those Pokemon players and watching their close fought battles. I didn't stay till the end but I heard the winner had a Mewtwo Ex/TA Lanturn speed deck. 2nd place had a pretty good Blaze/Salamence deck. The thing that was cool, was that I posted that I was coming to the tourney on PokeGym.... and I didn't leave a description of me. But 1 guy named ShinAkuma, just points at me and asks "Flabface... PokeMasterFlabface?" It was cool, getting to know new people. Now I am known as Flabface over at Houston :)

Last edited by PokeMasterFlabface; 05-10-2004 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:52 AM
Absolution Offline
Amateur Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Absolution
Default Re: Houston Gym Challenge Report

Hey Flabface, not bad for a first official tournament. To come away with some wins in a first outing is a real accomplishment. SceptEX is a tough deck to play in the current metagame, Blaze everywhere. My g/f plays SceptEX and had a real tough time at the GC herself, Michigan was littered with Blaziken, it was sick.

Personally in your deck I wouldn't try Wobb, Blaze EX can always KO stuff on the bench. I'd try to tech in something water here, Suicune EX is a possibility, it OHKO's a Blaze in the right situation (did it for me twice at the GC) I think your deck could use a bit more drawing power, maxing out on TV Reporter wouldn't hurt, CattyTon could fit as well. TA's Seviper is a good basic to have if you're going pure grass, as is Dragon Wurmple over Dunsparce (you get as many grass guys as you want when you search). Another Boost would do ya good too I think.

Your sister's deck is pretty standard for Blaze, but again maxing on TV Reporters helps in that kind of deck especially (discard fire and Firestarter it back). Other than that pretty solid.

Congrats on a pretty decent first outing, you've got remarkable deck building skills for someone who's never been in a real tournament before, you'll have winning records in future events for sure :)

Member of Team Lafonte
Old 05-15-2004, 01:13 AM
PokeMasterFlabface Offline
Experienced Trainer

Well my original deck was way better, but the cards I ordered were sent out the day before the tournament. So, I had to make a deck out of anything I can find the day of the tourney. I knew I should have added more draw power, because in most of my games I couldn't do anything.

Well, thnx for taking a look at my Houston GC Report. I can't wait until the Hidden Legends PreRelease coming soon at Houston. The drive there doesn't bother me that much, I just can't wait to play and meet up with some new friends I met there.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:35 AM
boltAge Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boltAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeMasterFlabface
But 1 guy named ShinAkuma, just points at me and asks "Flabface... PokeMasterFlabface?" It was cool, getting to know new people. Now I am known as Flabface over at Houston :)
Eh...That guy was an artist on PE2K at the old forum, he died out after being banned. o.O Interesting.