Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Games » Fourth Generation

Fourth Generation Discuss the fourth generation Pokemon games: Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Eiyoko Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Eiyoko Send a message via MSN to Eiyoko
Default A Guide on Obtaining Special Pokemon

A Guide on Obtaining Special Pokemon

By Eiyoko

As usual, save your progress before you begin. If you accidentally kill the Pokemon you're trying to catch, you'll be out of shape.

POKEBALLS

The only way to catch a "wild" Pokemon is to use a pokeball or two. Here are all possible (and acceptable) options:

Dive Ball
-Heightened rate of success when surfing.

Dusk Ball
-Heightened rate of success in caves and at night. An excellent choice for capturing Rotom.

Nest Ball
-The lower the wild pokemon's level is compared to your currently released pokemon, the higher the catch rate goes. If it is above, it resumes the normal catch rate.

Net Ball
-Higher catch rate against bug- and water-type pokemon.

Quick Ball
-For the best effect, use within the first five turns. The longer you wait to use it, the less effective it becomes.

Timer Ball
-The longer the battle is taking, the higher the catch rate goes. If the battle has gone on for a very long time and it's down to your timer balls and your master ball, timers just might save you. Best effect comes in around 30 turns into the battle.

Ultra Ball
-A very popular choice for hunting special Pokemon, but it doesn't have as high a success rate as "environmental" pokeballs (when in respective environments).

Pokeballs aside, you'll also want enough medicine and plenty of free time.

Here are some things to keep in mind for the battle:

Good stuff to do:
Lower accuracy
Lower attack
Lower special attack
Lower evasion
Lower speed
Paralysis
Sleep
Charm
Freeze

BAD stuff to do:
Lower defense (unless it's ridiculously high)
Lower special defense (again, unless it's way too high)
Poison
Burn
Confuse
Fire Spin/Wrap/Leech Seed, etc
And any other damage-over-time ability!

Note: Another good thing to have is "False Swipe" in case things get a bit sticky.

GENERAL STRATEGIES

Each special pokemon has its own individual method of obtainment; not all are "wild". It is for that reason that this section will be skipped altogether.

INDIVIDUAL STRATEGIES
Sinnoh Dex

Happiny
Evolution:
--> Chansey (Happiness + Daytime) --> Blissey (Happiness + Daytime)
On your first visit to Hearthome City, you can obtain a Happiny egg from the hiker next to the Route 209 gate (which leads to Solaceon City). You must have an open slot in your party to recieve the egg.

Spiritomb

Male

Female

Riolu
Evolution:
--> Lucario (Happiness + Daytime)
Be sure to have an open slot in your party! In Canalave City, take the ferry to Iron Island. After defeating two Galactic Grunts with Riley in your team, you will receive a Riolu Egg. You must have an open slot in your party to receive it! Full walkthrough coming soon.

National Dex Pokemon

Male

Female

Eevee
Evolution:
--> Vaporeon (Water Stone)
--> Jolteon (Thunder Stone)
--> Flareon (Fire Stone)
--> Espeon (Happiness + Daytime)
--> Umbreon (Happiness + Nighttime)
-->Glaceon (Level up near Ice Rock on Route 217)
--> Leafeon (Level up near Moss Rock in Eterna Forest)
After seeing all 150 Sinnoh Pokemon and obtaining the National Dex, talk to Bebe in Hearthome City to receive a level 5 Eevee. You must have an open slot in your party to recieve the Eevee.

Rotom
Requirements: Cut, Late Nighttime
Level 15
Type: Ghost/Electric
Ability: Levitate
Attacks:
ThunderShock (Electric): 30
Confuse Ray (Ghost): 10
Uproar (Normal): 10
Double Team (Normal): 15
Why put Double Team in bold, you ask? It gets annoying. Fast. VERY fast. Have a pokemon or two with defog to nullify it.
Some people consider Rotom a legendary Pokemon, some don't. If you ask me, he's not quite what I'd consider a legendary. Nonetheless, I'll post this in this guide as well as my legendary guide so that people looking at either guide in search of Rotom will find him.
You will find Rotom in the Old Mansion in Eterna Forest; late at night (Exact times coming soon). On the second floor, head north to find a hallway full of doors. In one of those rooms (exact room coming soon) is a TV. Thump it and Rotom will attack.
Legendary or not, Rotom has a low catch rate as if he were one. He's also a very annoying opponent to deal with. False Swipe will not work on Rotom, so I recommend bringing a low-level party to deal with him. Do not bring anything that will be super-effective against Rotom, as you will often KO him in one hit.
"Thundershock" paralyzes you every so often, "Uproar" prevents sleep, and I'm sure you know what Confuse Ray does. Rotom goes down quickly enough if you know what you're doing, so take it easy. Also, ground-type moves will have no effect on Rotom due to "Levitate".
As for actually catching him, I highly recommend using Dusk Balls. Nest balls are also an option, but Dusk Balls are much more preferable.

Last edited by Eiyoko; 04-29-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Eiyoko Offline
Experienced Trainer

Default Re: A Guide on Obtaining Special Pokemon

Special Thanks to:
Venusaur456

Old 06-18-2007, 08:33 PM
DocsFox Offline

I caught Rotom with a quick ball on the first round of battle. I wouldn't say you even need a strategy for it. <.<
Old 06-18-2007, 09:17 PM
Eiyoko Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsFox View Post
I caught Rotom with a quick ball on the first round of battle. I wouldn't say you even need a strategy for it. <.<
Not everyone is that lucky. Rotom doesn't have that good of a catch rate, and besides, this guide is meant for those that do not rely on such methods.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:40 AM
Ture pokemon master Offline
Elite Trainer

Ok When i get to 40 or more on a chain when I reset on is that mean do the 50 step over and over until i get a shiny grass?
Old 06-20-2007, 02:46 AM
scottie9 Offline
Master Trainer

thats pretty helpful, thanks for working and putting it up

Scottie's Shiny Emporium
Wifi Record 13-5

Old 06-20-2007, 03:26 PM
Eiyoko Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ture pokemon master View Post
Ok When i get to 40 or more on a chain when I reset on is that mean do the 50 step over and over until i get a shiny grass?
Wrong guide, silly. ^^ I'll answer it anyway though, and I'll probably make a pokeradar guide too.

The odds of getting a shiny are 0.01%. Not 1%, 0.01%. That's a very low percentage. Also, I don't know much about PokeRadar or chains, but I believe if you go for the shaking grass farthest away from you, it has the highest chance of giving you the same pokemon as previously encountered.

The pokemon listed in this guide are not [normally] found in the wild with PokeRadar.