Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing

Creative Writing Share your fan fiction, stories, poems, essays, editorials, song lyrics, or any other related written work. All written must be your creation. Start a new thread, and keep replying to that thread as you add on more chapters. Anyone can join in at anytime.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:11 AM
Scourge of Amaranth Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scourge of Amaranth
Default Re: Guardians of Eternity: The Planeswalker Chronicles (Chapter 1 up)

^.^ That there swears be epic.

Sorry for the prying, but I'm curious about his characterization now. Tell me to shut up if the answer'll spoil anything. xD Is he one of those "seen so much that he doesn't believe in anything" folks or the "seen so much that he believes that there must be something out there"?

~IGC t DM+

EmBreon is the maple syrup to my slightly undercooked crepe
{URPG Stats}--{ASB Stats}--{Fanfiction}
khajmer = biffle
yoface = broham

thegalleonman: (8:37:28 PM) How sad.
thegalleonman: (8:37:37 PM) I'm amused.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:20 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

He's the "seen so much that he doesn't believe in anything" type. You see, there are kinds of sentient life out there that are capable of godlike acts and that some other races worship as gods, but at the same time, he's seen those gods become corrupt or die.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 10-09-2008, 01:22 AM
Scourge of Amaranth Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scourge of Amaranth

*files away in head*

I've no idea why I wanted to know that. Ah well. Anyways, I'll be here to read the next chapter when it shows up. ^.^

~IGC t DM+

EmBreon is the maple syrup to my slightly undercooked crepe
{URPG Stats}--{ASB Stats}--{Fanfiction}
khajmer = biffle
yoface = broham

thegalleonman: (8:37:28 PM) How sad.
thegalleonman: (8:37:37 PM) I'm amused.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:18 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Ok, well, halfway through writing Chapter 2, I decided that Chapter 1 was much too terrible, so I went and revised it. This time, Christopher's in kinda more of a "Wtf" shock-speechless state. More realistic, less strained (I think) while also making it less work for me xD.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Old 10-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Dr Robotnik Offline

Pretty good. Kind of boring (personal opinion)
Old 10-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Well obviously, this is the part without action. Chapter 3, we start having action again.

Art Gallery
Old 10-12-2008, 03:13 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Chapter 2: The Gate of Infinity (Part 1)

Chapter 2: The Gate of Infinity

Just like last time, the transfer was absolutely instantaneous, without any kind of transition phase whatsoever. Just one nanosecond: sand, sand, and more sand, and the next: Christopher was sitting on his but against the surface of a solid, cold, stone floor. He squinted. The room they were in was circular, and the roof was somewhat like a dome, except that it came back down in the center, creating more of an inside-of-a-half-a-bagel shape, although the hole was merely an indentation instead of a full-fledged column in the middle of the room. The room was dimly lit, with the only light coming from a strange platform in the middle of the room, a circular piece of equipment raised up about two feet from the surrounding stone floor. The surface of the platform glowed a bright white, but gave off little actual light and was not illuminated. A Christmas-tree shaped arrangement of little balls and sticks rotated above the platform, hovering in midair and appearing to be a hologram, composed of light or energy. The tree was composed of an immense number of tiny balls, attached to each other by sticks, all attached to a central column, thin, but thicker than the average sticks. At the very top was a glowing blue sphere slightly larger than the other ones. The spheres were a variety of colors, and seemed to be clustered together based on their color.

Besides the platform and the holographic tree, the only other thing in the room besides Baraka and Christopher himself was a man. He was tall and thin, wearing a thick pair of glasses and holding a heavy tome of a book, the title of which Christopher could not quite make out, but looking very old and ragged. His hair looked to be black, but it might have been brown, or even a dark red, for the dim light did not illuminate it well. He wore a sharp jacket and pants, and looked a little like an 18th century librarian.

The man peered at the two newcomers through his thick glasses, and pushed them up his nose. “Baraka, what is this?” he queried.

Baraka looked up at the man. “Hmm? Oh, Koron! I didn’t know that you’d be here!”

Koron merely gave a long-suffering look. “I’m always here, Baraka.”

Baraka tilted his head to one side thoughtfully, then nodded. “Point taken. Anyways, this here,” he pointed both hands at Christopher, “is a small mammal from my homeworld in my home universe.”

Koron nodded. “I see. And why have you brought him here?”

Baraka smiled. “He’s a newborn planeswalker.”

Beneath his stunned disbelief and frozen brain, Christopher felt a twinge of anger. Newborn?

Koron pushed his glasses up his nose. “Are you certain?”

“Absolutely.”

“I see.” Koron closed his eyes and breathed deep. “Very well then. You’ll have to be his teacher, Baraka.”

Baraka’s eyes shot open and he stared at Koron for several seconds. “What? No, you know I hate kids!”

Koron merely nodded in agreement. “I absolutely understand that you are possibly the worst teacher that the Planeswalker Academy has to offer. Unfortunantly, you are currently also the only available teacher the Planeswalker Academy has to offer. You know how limited our numbers have become, Baraka, and you know how much we have to do now. You are, the only choice.” He pushed his glasses up his nose again. Christopher thought he was doing that an awful lot. “However, I do not believe having you as his only teacher will be good for his mental state. Therefore, you will be sharing your task with someone else, someone who has just graduated from the level of apprentice and can help make sure poor ‘Christopher’ here doesn’t go insane from being near you too long.”

Baraka scoffed. “I work alone.”

“Not anymore.” It was, Christopher thought, a whisper that rang louder and more final than any shout.

Baraka merely rolled his eyes. “Okay, so who will this be?”

“Hmm.” Koron opened the heavy tome he was carrying and flipped through the pages. “I think Aurora should do fine.”

Baraka lifted his eyebrows. “That thing? You sure?”

“I am certain.”

Baraka sighed and threw his arms up in defeat. “Fine.”

Koron glanced at Christopher, who still had not moved a muscle since arriving, and his dark eyebrows furrowed. “What did you do to the boy?”

“Eh?” Baraka glanced back at Christopher. “Oh, I told him his parents were dead.”

Koron quirked an eyebrow. An unseen exchange seemed to pass between the two planeswalkers, and Baraka merely shrugged. Koron smiled, and shifted the monster of a book in his hand to one arm, then turned towards the circular platform. “Gate?” he called.

A loud voice boomed into the room, startling Christopher and making him jump, the first move he had made since arriving. “WHAT DO YOU WISH TO BEHOLD?”

The Christmas-tree hologram disappeared, replaced with a vertically-placed circular ring, the inside of which shimmered with a swirl of colors. “Please show this young man his parents,” Koron said, gesturing with his free hand to Christopher.

“AS YOU WISH,” the voice boom. The inside of the ring shimmered, and was replaced with an image of a couple in their 50s, busy trying to hail a cab in Washington DC.

Christopher gaped. Those were his parents! They were alive! A joy, flying, soaring, filled his heart. But then he realized where that joy came from, and it was instantly replaced with anger, hot, raging. He turned towards Baraka. “You lied to me!”

Baraka scoffed. “Uh, yeah. I do that a lot.”

Christopher made a noise like “Uraaugh!” and jumped at Christopher, hands outstretched likes claws to tear out the man’s eyes and rend his flesh. Halfway through his jump, however, Baraka vanished, and Christopher’s momentum was inexplicably arrested in midair.

He craned his neck around. Baraka was standing behind him now, with his finger pointed towards Christopher, the other wagging slightly, like a parent reprimanding his child. “Tsk tsk tsk. You bow to your sensei, not attack him.”

“Enough, Baraka.” Koron slashed his hand through the air, and Christopher was dropped onto the ground hard. Wincing from the pain, Christopher rolled over onto his back. “Listen, child. You have been taken forcibly from your home to serve a cause which you do not yet know of. While the methods involved I do not approve of,” Koron glanced to Baraka at this, “we do need your services. Every planeswalker now is an invaluable member. We cannot afford to lose anymore, nor can we pass up a new planeswalker. Once you have completed your training, you can return to your homeworld to talk with your family whenever you want. Until then, you must stay with us, and learn to use your powers to the best of your ability.”

Christopher struggled to his feet. The way this man was talking about it was so cool, so calm, so normal that he just felt like he should go ahead and do what he said, that everything would be alright, and things would work out the way he said. But it still meant he would have to leave his entire life, his family, his friends, for an indefinite period. Could he do that? “I, I- Can I uhh… well…” he put his hand behind his head awkwardly. “Can I at least say goodbye to my parents?”

Koron pushed his glasses up his nose again. “There is no need. Once you have achieved a basic mastery, you can go back at will. This is not the end, it is only the beginning.” He smiled, the first time that Christopher could recall him doing so. “Have no fear. The life you are about to enter is great beyond your imagination, so long as you follow the instructions we give you. Trust me, the life you have left is not one you will be missing.”

Christopher blinked, then swallowed. There was something so infinitely reassuring about the way this guy spoke. It was eerie, like he was psychic or something, and could influence his mind. Which might be very much possible, he reminded himself. This was a world utterly beyond his experience. He closed his eyes. His boss most certainly wouldn’t care, Wal-Mart never had any problem getting employees. There were friends in college, but he wasn’t all that close to any of them. His parents lived in DC, and he didn’t exactly call them often, so they wouldn’t even realize he was gone for a long, long time. And Chelsea… well, they might as well end their relationship anyways, Christopher had felt they ought to have done so a long time ago. So, did he want to live an average life, getting Cs in college, then go on to live an average, middle-class life, or do… something else?

He decided to trust this man. He decided to go with the something else. He opened his eyes, and answered. “Okay.”

Okay. It was as average a word as any. Yet there was a strange finality with that two-syllable word now. It was… a first, baby step into a larger world. Or so he felt.

“Excellent!” Baraka clapped his hands, then started rubbing them together. The hologram of the ring disappeared, replaced once again by the standard Christmas-tree thing. “Well, let’s begin, shall we? What dorm number?” he queried Koron.

“Hmm…” Koron started flipping through his heavy tome again. “Let’s see… Room 217 opened up. You can take that one.”

“Great!” This time, the exclamation was with an air of finally getting it over with. “Let’s go, kid.” Baraka grabbed Christopher’s arm, and the scene abruptly changed into that of a dorm room.

------------------

There's Part A, because I decided that the chapter was too long for a single post. Part B shall come tomorrow.

Art Gallery

Last edited by Lusankya; 11-22-2008 at 03:06 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:11 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems

Well, well. Not bad at all. ^^

I must say you have some skill, and this is very interesting.

Only thing, I found a couple of mistakes, you might want to run over it again. But I'm going to stick around to see how this turns out.

It could use a bit more description, though. Seems a bit lacking.

Isn't it good to be average? =P

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links
Old 10-16-2008, 01:09 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Christopher looked around, and clutched his stomach. There was something disorienting about a change as sudden and complete as planeswalker teleportation. His brain couldn’t adjust so quickly. So apparently, it decided nausea was the best way to cope. Christopher personally disagreed with his brain, but unfortunately, his brain wasn’t in the mood to argue.

Pretty soon, the sensation of being sick passed, and Christopher was free to look around his dorm. It wasn’t much larger than the apartment he had just left, but it was much better furnished, with a large-screen television, a small white two-person couch that looked enormously cushy, and a table with plastic chairs in the corner. In the other corner was a countertop like that of a kitchen, and there was only a single rectangular device slightly larger than a microwave sitting on it, with no obvious buttons or anything to activate it. The walls were just a blank white, and the light came from no identifiable source. There was what appeared to be a short hallway, and Christopher could spot parts of two more doors, assumedly the bathroom and bedrooms. There was one more door, and he suspected it would be the one into the hallway.

“Alright kid,” Baraka growled. His tone and expression had become much more gruff and unpleasant after leaving Koron, and Christopher could guess why. He supposed the enthusiasm had all been just an act. Strangely, the thought didn’t bother him much. “Any personal belongings you want?”

Christopher shook his head. His apartment was incredibly sparse, and there was nothing of value there. His wallet was already on him, although he doubted the money he had would be accepted in the rest of the universe. He had no items of sentimental value.

“Good. We start your training immediately.” Baraka walked over to the short hallway, then gestured with his head for Christopher to come over when he just stood there blankly. “What, do I have to tell you to do everything?”

Christopher walked over. One door was closed, and the other was open, showing a small bathroom with a white ceramic toilet, sink, and shower. Everything was white. Did the color white help enhance planeswalking or something?

A thought occurred to Christopher. “Were you lying to me about Chelsea as well?”

“Nope, your girlfriend’s really cheating on you,” came the reply. Christopher nodded sadly, but shook it off. He knew it would have ended sooner or later. “Alright kid. Here’s your first lesson. Teleporting. Imagine yourself standing in that bathroom. Picture it real hard in your brain until it’s the only thing you’re thinking about.”

Christopher closed his eyes and did as told, imagining seeing himself standing in that tiny white room. He imagined looking around to see the inside of the room, instead of just looking out from inside, and tried to remove everything else from his mind.

“Got it? Now, there is a trigger for every planeswalker that starts the teleport. It’s different for everyone. For me, it’s the memory of realizing that my mother wasn’t coming home after a sandstorm.” Christopher opened his eyes, momentarily distracted by the short tale of loss. “Did I say to stop focusing?” Baraka growled, and Christopher quickly shut his eyelids again. “For other people, it’s the thought of food. For yet others, it’s the feeling you get when you win something important. Now, I don’t know what it is for you, so just start doing things until it works.”

Christopher opened his eyes, and raised his eyebrows. “Just think about… things?”

“Yep.” Baraka nodded.

“This might take a while, seeing as how I have no leads.”

“Yep.” Baraka walked back into the living room and sat down on the couch. “For some people, it takes days. Now, start. No dinner until you finish.”

This is ridiculous, Christopher thought, as he shut his eyes and imagined himself in the bathroom again. Using the majority of his brainpower to focus on that image, he shunted off a little bit of his mental capacity to thinking about… things. Kissing his girlfriend. Getting a hug from his mom. Getting a rare A on a Human Geography test. Things, just random thoughts, stretching from the mundane, such as sitting down on the bus, to the memory of first finding Baraka lying on his couch.

For a seemingly eons, nothing happened. Then, a crash sounded in the confines of the dorm room. Baraka checked his watch. Only about fourteen minutes. That was pretty fast. He glanced over his shoulder, and suddenly appeared in the hallway, peering into the bathroom. Christopher was sprawled out on the floor, his arms supporting his body, stopping him from hitting his head on the toilet seat. And he was naked.

Christopher glanced down at his body, then gasped and ducked behind the wall of the bathroom, out of sight from Baraka’s position in the hallway. “Why am I naked?!” he yelled.

“Because apparently, you didn’t imagine yourself standing in the bathroom with clothes.” Baraka chuckled, a heart, deep-throated sound. It happened to everyone the first time. Learning to teleport objects with you came slightly later. Christopher’s clothes were lying in a pile in the hallway, so Baraka simply gave them a push with his foot into the bathroom. “Put on your clothes, and we’ll try again.”

“Good job! What was the trigger?” he asked, curious.

Christopher was busy putting on boxers and pants. “I tried to divide 23086 by 1294.”

Baraka chuckled again. “Not being able to do a math problem. That’s a new one.”

They continued to practice for the rest of the day. When the time hit about 7:00, Central US time back on Earth, Baraka finally decided that they had done enough for the day. Christopher had achieved a basic control, managing to be able to teleport with his clothes on while his eyes were open. He was still no closer to solving 23086 divided by 1294.

“Can we eat yet?” Christopher moaned. His stomach was growling, and he was starving. Apparently, planeswalking burns up lots of calories. Or maybe he just ate too much all the time. That was possible too, considering that he kept four or five large bags of chips in his apartment at all times.

Baraka grunted an affirmative. “Pizza good enough for you?”

Christopher nodded. “Pepperoni’s fine.”

Baraka grunted again. “I’ll go get it. You stay in here. No move outside. Understand?”

Christopher narrowed his eyes. He was used to being treated like he was inferior, but this was different. Nobody had ever treated him like, well, a child before. He considered revising his decision to stay here instead of going home, then remembered what Baraka had said about wiping his memory and bringing him here anyways. If he was telling the truth. He merely nodded in reply, and Baraka vanished. He appeared several minutes later with an extra large Pizza Hut pizza loaded with an excess of pepperoni, took about half of it, then vanished again, only to reappear seconds later with shampoo, soap, and pajamas. The rest of the night went pretty normally; Christopher ate, showered, and slept.

Christopher looked around him, and blinked. He was in some kind of chamber. A white room, the size of a gymnasium and twice as high. He was standing on a platform on the edge of the room. A door closed behind him. He scanned the room, and found a beautiful creature, shimmering white and red. He couldn’t make out the details, but it was the most beautiful animal he had ever seen.

It looked dead. Its body was impaled on a long spike, attached to some kind of enormous machine in the room. Again, Christopher couldn’t make out the details, but the machine was big, deadly, and it was dangerous. Like the creature, it was dead.

He rushed forward, and teleported down the platform to the machine, and the creature. He gazed at its body, limp, and its eyes, staring at something unseen. It was so beautiful. So sad. He reached out to touch it, but a force, some force, pushed him back, all the way back to the platform. He tried to fight it, but couldn’t.

A terrible groan sounded all around him, echoing throughout the room. Christopher looked around, but could not find the source. What was going on?

Art Gallery

Last edited by Lusankya; 11-22-2008 at 03:06 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:09 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

His question was answered with a hideous metallic screech, and half the chamber tore off and fell away. He gasped as the machine and the creature were sucked out with the other half the chamber, and a torrent of wind threatened to blow him out with them. The outside of the chamber? Empty space, and stars. And the most horrifying sight he could imagine: A gaping hole in space, a dark vortex, a black whirlpool collapsing in on itself. Things were coming out of the hole in space, immense, glowing green. There were so many of them, an unimaginably huge number.

We are the Legion, for we are many. You will be Harvested. You will become Us.

“Cmon kid, let’s go!” Christopher turned around. Baraka was standing in the open doorway. His hand stretched and grabbed the back of Christopher’s shirt, and he was pulled through the door. Christopher couldn’t move. The sight of the vortex and what it pouring through mesmerized him.

Strength is irrelevant. Resistance is futile. All will be Harvested. All will become Us.

Christopher awoke with a start, sweating and gasping for breath. What had that been?

He turned over in his bed, plumped his pillow, and closed his eyes. Must just be all the stress from today. He had been through a lot today. He needed rest, and a good night’s sleep. He hoped tomorrow would be an easy day, although knowing Baraka, the chances were small.

Within seconds, he was asleep again. When he woke up, he did not remember his dream at all.

Christopher woke the next day (according to his watch, which was still tuned to his time on Earth; God knows what time it was where he was now) feeling strangely refreshed. He looked around his room, and for a second, did not recognize the white-washed walls, white couch, white television, white chairs, white counter, white table, and white box-thingy. Then the memories of the past day came flooding back; he sighed, and lifted himself up and out of bed. Now that that Koron person wasn’t around, he felt a lot less sure of his decision to stay. And what was with all this white? It was nearly blinding. Did the color white aid planeswalking or something?

Searching around his room, he found the clothes he had worn yesterday stacked and folded neatly on the countertop. Putting them on, he noticed that they smelled fresh and clean, which was odd, since Christopher didn’t remember anybody coming to wash them. Then again, he was in a universe where people teleport around on a whim, God knows what else was possible. Maybe he would meet Gandalf the Grey, or Monty Python’s Black Knight.

Before preparing the open the door that presumably lead outside, he paused. Baraka had told him to stay inside, but maybe that only applied to last night? He debated himself whether to go or not for several more seconds, but then eventually decided to go; he didn’t want to stay cooped up in this dorm to be retrieved like a toddler. He turned the doorknob, and the door creaked open. Christopher stuck his head outside. The hallway, unlike his room, was not just blank whiteness; it was carpeted with a thick speckled carpet, and the walls had flowery pink and red wallpaper designs, and the place felt (and smelled) like a Marriot Hotel. Other doors lined the sides of the hallway, and at the end of the hallway, mounted on the roof, was a sign labeled, “Cafeteria” with an arrow pointing to the right. Christopher concentrated and teleported himself down the hall; it had become much easier since he had first tried. Soon he reckoned it would be no harder than just walking around normally. He looked both ways—the hallway split into two identical hallways, only the one where the Cafeteria sign had been pointing had two elevators. Again, just like a Marriot Hotel. He teleported over again. Now he had a dilemma: He didn’t know which button to hit, up or down. But if the rest of the building was situated like a Marriot hotel, then the dining area should be on the lowest level. So he hit the down button, and the elevator doors opened almost instantly. Finally, something that wasn’t like a hotel: The inside of the elevator was tiny, barely enough to fit two people standing side by side, and it was cylindrical, white, and rounded on the edges. Not something for the claustrophobic. Luckily, Christopher had no such phobia, and wandered inside. Instead of having little round white buttons with the numbers of the floors, there was instead, a little strip black LED strip with red letters reading, “Where would you like to go?”

However, Christopher could find no place to input his choice of location. He looked around for buttons, a keypad, anything. There was nothing, asides from the strip, the elevator was just white. Out of desperation, he simply asked, “Can you take me to the cafeteria?”

Fwoop. Just like planeswalker teleportation, suddenly he was standing in a room that could have been the inside of an Applebee’s, only that instead of the Applebee’s logo on the far wall, there was a sign that said “Planeswalker Acadamy”, with a little triple-pronged purple symbol out of it. Christopher looked around, the lighting was dark, and there was a bar in the center of the cafeteria. Behind him was another door that was probably an elevator—no, they were teleporters, he reminded himself—and the place just generally felt like any evening three-star steak restaurant with ambient lighting. One thing was missing though, there was no music playing.

Christopher took a seat at one of the tables, pulling up a plastic chair and looking around. Another thing was lacking, he thought. There was almost no one in the cafeteria. Few diners, and no waiters. Asides from himself, there were only about six or seven people in the restaurant. Most of them seemed human, but there were three that were much different; One appeared human at first glance, but there were eight long crab leg-like protrusions sticking out of his back, moving and crawling as though trying to move on an unseen, vertical surface. Another creature was completely alien, some kind of squid with too many tentacles to count, who took up an entire bench by itself, with three tentacles soaking in a large bowl of black, bubbling liquid. The third alien was simply an incorporeal glowing green cloud, and it appeared to be chatting with several humans.

Christopher looked at his table. In addition to what might be salt, pepper, ketchup, and hot sauce, were also several more spices of unidentified origin, labeled with a language he could not read. There was also a lone menu lying on the table that hadn’t been there when he sat down. He looked at it; it was in English, thankfully, but there were no waiters to take his order. Then he remembered how he had activated that elevator, and spoke quietly into the menu (after reading it through, of course) “Pork bacon and scrambled chicken eggs with waffles and milk.”

Voila. And with no flair whatsoever, his order appeared on the table, along with a napkin, spoon, knife, and fork. I could get used to this, Christopher thought, and dug into the scrambled eggs.

“Soon, very soon, it will make all the paint peel off your walls!
It'll make your keyboard all sticky,
give your poodle a hickey,
and invest your cash in stock in Euro Disney!
Then, it will tie up your phone, making prank long-distance calls!”

Christopher turned around. There was Baraka, still wearing his biker’s outfit, but now twirling in his left hand a gold-colored scepter, completely plain in design, basically just a cylinder with a bulb on top, singing a quirky little tune a little too high-pitched for his voice.

“It'll set your clocks back an hour and start clogging the shower,
so just trash it now, or else it will…
Decide to give you a permanent wedgie,
legally change your name to Reggie,
even mess up the pH balance in your pool!”

Baraka plopped himself in the chair across from Christopher and grinned at him devilishly. A few seconds later, he appeared to have spotted something behind Christopher, his black eyes looking up and past Christopher’s head. “Hello, Aurora.”

Christopher turned around. Defying the laws of physics by floating there in midair was an alien creature reminiscent of some mad scientist who had decided to meld together an airplane, dragon, and bird, then painted it red and white to boot. The main body was round and bright red, with two white lobes on the side-front that were attached by a thin stick to another red half-lobe, on the ends which were three dull-looking gray claws, and Christopher assumed they were supposed to be hands of some kind, although he couldn’t see how anything could be picked up with them. The feet were located on the underside of the round body, and were tiny, shaped like duck’s feet, only instead of webbing, they were just solid. A tiny stub of a tail poked out behind them. Sticking out of the back at an angle were two rectangular, red, airplane-like wings that got slightly sharper at the ends and had little protrusions facing rearwards. Attached to a thick white neck almost as long as the rest of the body was a triangular head set forward like a bird’s, with a red triangle on the forehead and brilliant golden eyes, as well as a pair of feathery fins angled backwards, melding on smoothly into the skull. The creature sported a very streamlined look, and appeared to be quite cuddly, covered in a smooth layer of fluffy feathers, almost as though it had bounced right out of a Japanese anime.

[Hello, Baraka], the creature said. Said? No, that wasn’t even close to being right. The words had occurred in Christopher’s head. The thing was talking directly to his mind?, in a high-pitched feminine, mellow voice. He bent over his eggs darkly. He didn’t much like the thought of some psychic dragon-alien poking inside his mind.

The creature—Baraka had called it Aurora—glided smoothly over the table and plopped itself on the bench, its wings angled upwards, above the bench. Christopher could not for the life of him figure out how it flew. It didn’t flap its wings, nor did it use any kind of jet or anything that operated by the physics he was familiar with. Maybe some anti-gravity device hidden from view. It was about as tall as Christopher was, and now, since it was sitting on a bench, towered above them, the equivalent of if Christopher had decided to stand up on the bench. It shuffled forward a bit, sliding off the bench. To Christopher’s surprise, the back of the bench melted out of the way of the wings.

Baraka broke out in song again, the same one he was singing earlier.

“Look out! It's gonna melt your face right off your skull, look out!
And make your iPod only play Jethro Tull, look out!
And tell you knock-knock jokes while you're trying to sleep, look out!
And make you physically attracted to sheep, look out!
Steal your identity and your credit card, look out!
Buy you a warehouse full of pink leotards, look out!
Then cause a major rift in time and space,
and leave a bunch of Twinkie wrappers all over the place!”

Christopher couldn’t resist anymore. He knew he would probably regret it later, but he just had to ask. “What are you singing about?”

Baraka broke off his song and grinned, leaning back suavely. “The most terrible computer virus known to man. If you get infected, you’ll wish you had never been born,
so before it emails your grandmother all of your porn…
Turn off your computer and make sure it powers down,
drop it in a forty-three-foot hole in the ground,
bury it completely; rocks and boulders should be fine!
Then burn all the clothes you may have worn any time you were aliiiiive!”

[Alright, Baraka. Enough with that, we have to go before the Reuflonok arrives,] the creature said. Or rather, literally thought out loud.

“Go? Go where?” Christopher asked, piqued. A new step in his training?

Baraka lifted up one finger and put it to his lips in the sign of shushing. “Quiet, child. Show your elders respect.” He jerked at thumb at the creature. “This here is Aurora. She’s going to be my ‘partner’”, he said that word with unhidden disdain, “and she’s going to be the one to keep me from abusing you to much. So be nice to her. You can start by not thinking of her as ‘the creature’.”

Christopher’s eyes widened in alarm. “How-”

Baraka smiled and cut him off. “I know these things, kid.” He leaned forward and jerked his head at Aurora.

Christopher gulped and turned towards her. “Sorry,” he apologized, head bowed in shame.

[It’s alright,] Aurora thought at him cheerfully. [Most people who don’t spend too much time around aliens react like that. I hail from a universe parallel to your own, on an Earth where instead of animals, we have creatures like, well, me!] Her “thought-voice” was cheery, bright, high and cutesy in pitch. How thoughts could have voices, Christopher didn’t know.

“Anyways,” Baraka grunted, getting up from the bench, “we’ve got our first mission today. So, in case you didn’t know, my job, and the jobs we’ll be running, is to identify and target disturbances in space-time that could possibly threaten the existence of a universe for neutralization by our other teams. These disturbances can be anything; Space-time anomalies, machines, even people. Now, since planeswalkers can only teleport to somewhere where we’ve actually been to and remember, and I’ve never been to this universe before, we’ll be taking the Gate.” He got up and walked off. “Gonna go get my guitar. Aurora will take you to the Gate.” He vanished.

Guitar? Christopher glanced back at Aurora, who closed her eyes and trembled her head a bit, like… a silent chuckle? Whatever it was, she quickly opened her eyes again and looked straight at Christopher, then turned her head so only one eye was facing him. Her eyes were set on the sides of her head, only tilted slightly forward along the narrowing of her head, so maybe she had to do that to get a good view. [Take me hand, will you?] She held out one of her round paws. Christopher glanced at it unsurely, then carefully placed a hand on it. It was covered in a light, fluffy layer of feathers that, on closer examination, were transparent. But if they were transparent, then where did the red come from?

The scene shifted, and suddenly the two were standing (well, one of them anyways, the other was hovering in midair) in a large pit, circular, shaped like a Roman colosseum, only natural-looking, made of solid gray stone and without any decorative benches or arches, just a crater with a flat basin. It was completely barren, with no vegetation whatsoever, and cracks ran through the rock. There was no wind whatsoever, but the air was warm, and the night sky overhead was teeming with stars, more than could ever been seen from Earth. They were probably in some kind of star cluster, where the stars were more closely packed together, causing the night sky to be about two or three times as bright. The air smelled of something like sulfur, but more sharp, and bitter. Wherever they were, it was not Earth.

Situated in the middle of the basin on a raised circular stone platform ringed with stairs was a large stone ring situated upright, with a diameter about six times that of Christopher’s height. It was made of a white rock, carved with ancient inscriptions in a language Christopher could not read, but the rock was weathered and worn, and the inscriptions were faded. The ring was run through with cracks.

Christopher felt a shiver run down his spine. This place held an air of ancient powers, innocent facades belying a force beyond mortal comprehension. There was no question about it; this was holy ground, hidden and forbidden, ancient beyond imagination.

[The Gate of Infinity,] Aurora murmured softly in the back of Christopher’s mind. [Built by the Bordooshio twenty-five billion years ago.] Even she, who must have been here at least dozens of times before, seemed subdued by its might.

Christopher felt another shiver run through his body, and stood there, stunned. Twenty-five billion years. This Gate had been here longer than the universe in which he was born.

Baraka popped into existence next to Christopher. He looked no different than he did when he had just left them, or in fact, when Christopher had first met him. “Where’s your guitar?” Christopher asked.

“In my pocket,” Baraka replied, with absolutely no emotion on his face. Christopher couldn’t tell if he was joking or being serious. Given how little he knew of planeswalkers or their technology, either was possible. “Gate?”

“WHAT DO YOU WISH TO BEHOLD?” the Gate boomed, its massive, deep voice echoing off the rocks.

“Universe A293B92376D92637A2086,” Baraka recited, quickly and flawlessly. “Dimension 12, coordinates 1626’266’2352 oh 62 naught 54.”

Christopher quirked an eyebrow. If being a planeswalker meant having to remember strings of numbers and letters like that, then he was going to have severe second thoughts.

“AS YOU WISH,” the Gate replied, and within the ring a film shimmered into existence. The film encompassed the entire interior of the ring, and was beyond words to describe. Colors, textures, opacities that Christopher had never seen before, had never even imagined before, that no human being in his home universe had ever imagined filled the ring.

Baraka walked forward. “You coming or not?” he asked, not even turning around. Aurora glided right behind him. Baraka stepped right through the film, and Aurora followed suit.

Christopher took a deep breathe. This is it, he thought to himself, and took a step into the unknown abyss.

-----
Better?

Art Gallery

Last edited by Lusankya; 10-16-2008 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Alana Marie Offline

Default Re: Guardians of Eternity: The Planeswalker Chronicles (Chapter 2 up)

*attacks Lusy* O: I KNOWZ WHAT AURORA ISH!!!!!!
I know i know i know!

Very clever! I liked it.

O: I LUBBED IT.

Is the squid think i pokemanz too?
Old 11-22-2008, 02:43 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems

Oh my goodness! A Latias!!! ^_^ *hugs Lus* A Latias!!! =D

Wow, nice chapter. I really like how you've made Baraka, he's growing on me. ^^'

And that was excellent description! You have a good eye for those things. But there were quite a few mistakes in that chapter.

Frequently you referred to Koron as "Korov" and little errors were all over the place.

Apart from that, great job!

A Latias! *giggles*

Links
Old 11-22-2008, 03:04 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

That's actually due to a name change I decided on halfway through writing the chapter X_x Silly me, didn't go revise the times I mentioned him already. Looking at it now though, it'd probably easier for me to go with the original.

Art Gallery

Last edited by Lusankya; 11-22-2008 at 03:07 AM.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:50 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
That's actually due to a name change I decided on halfway through writing the chapter X_x Silly me, didn't go revise the times I mentioned him already. Looking at it now though, it'd probably easier for me to go with the original.
Ah, I get you now. Just my opinion, I like Koron better. =]

And did I mention a Latias?! xD

Links
Old 11-23-2008, 03:31 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Yeah, I edited to make all the names Koron now. :)

And o.o How did you know it was a Latias? xD

Art Gallery