Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » Pokemon News

Pokemon News Here you will find the Pokemon news that is on the website, posted here also so you can reply with any comments/questions.

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 12:39 AM
bronislav84 Offline

Send a message via AIM to bronislav84 Send a message via MSN to bronislav84 Send a message via Yahoo to bronislav84
Default Re: Usohachi's Official English Name: Bonsly!

Am I the only one who realizes that Bonsly has absolutely no name connection to Soodowoodo? What does it mean, anyway? Is it a play on words, like some other Pkmn names?
Bronislav is my name and 1984 is my birth year. Call me Bron or Slavik if you can't say my full name. Banner/Ava by the illustrious Neo Pikachu Emolga R.I.P. August 13, 2007 3:45AM EST Simkha "Dosha" Bakman I loved you, Grandpa Check this out, it's really cool!
Old 06-20-2005, 01:48 AM
Pika57 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via ICQ to Pika57 Send a message via AIM to Pika57 Send a message via MSN to Pika57 Send a message via Yahoo to Pika57

I liked Usohachi better than Bonsly. Ity would be cool for some more Pokemon to retain their japanese names.( I'm not sure but I think that Pickachu and Raichu are original japanese names)

Things I've learned in WAR RPs- War is Hell.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:09 AM
Matt Offline
<- Khold's Butt
Elite Trainer (Level 7)

Send a message via AIM to Matt

Makuhita and Hariyama seem to be japanese, and Yanma doesn't stray far from its japanese name.
------
FrozenChaos703: I have a kitty named Peaches.
FrozenChaos703: She can stand on my boobs.
FrozenChaos703: Without falling.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:43 PM
sybersaur3000 Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via ICQ to sybersaur3000 Send a message via AIM to sybersaur3000 Send a message via MSN to sybersaur3000

It seems that japanese names are cooler then those other 'english' names. Bronsly sounds...dum... It's like a english name...What were they thinking?!

^ This is my forum ....Hope anyone joins

Ms Paint+ IrfanView+ 8bf Plugins = ^
Violaters of the First Amendment are at high.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:08 PM
Sudo Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via MSN to Sudo

Well when Diamond and Pearl are released you can always name YOUR Bonsly by its Japanese name!

Hep Lep i would read a few books before buying that Bonsai tree cos they are quite tricky to keep alive!
Old 06-20-2005, 07:31 PM
Missingno mystery Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonKing
Heh. Until I saw Destiny Deoxys (I'm guessing you too) I also pronounced them "ray-KWAH-za" and "MEHT-a-GROSS" rather than "ray-KWAY-za" and "METH-a-GROHS." I probably mispronounce a few others incorrectly, too. Until the second to last episode in America (I happened to watch it ), I had been pronouncing Breloom as "BRAY-loom" instead of "breh-LOOM." Anime really needs to spell them more phonetically. Then again, I guess my "BRAY-loom" pronunciation wasn't too phonetic. Take care.
Personally, I like to pronounce it "met-a-graws" cause "met-a-gohs" jest sounds, gross . I've always said it "ray-kway-zuh" cause if you were to have studied the 3 beast like I did you'd know that he got his name from "ray-like beams of light" and "Quazar-star". I also pronounce it "breh-loom" and confirmed my pro when they were saying there name in the 6th movie, however, kids stupidB had there little "take the challenge" thing and say'd it wrong "bray-loom" (which actually make more sense to me than breh) along with a few other (can't remember) so they would ryme with the other poke's names (like thay do in the PokeRaps) and I was afraid thats what they'd also say in the ep, but it didn't really matter cause of the fact that I couldn't hear a dang thing (I hate you antenna ).
Old 06-20-2005, 07:59 PM
Kayden Javlaíakín Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybersaur3000
It seems that japanese names are cooler then those other 'english' names. Bronsly sounds...dum... It's like a english name...What were they thinking?!
Yep. I completly agree with ya. XDDDDD
A good name would be something like 'Toodowoodo'? I guess... anyway Bronsly just dosen't have that little 'ting' to it like all the japanese names do.

yeah yeah yeah
Old 06-20-2005, 09:58 PM
Quiny-Quin Offline
New Trainer

Same here. The japanese names are sensible. Why not use them?

~Banner by Kayden~
Old 06-21-2005, 12:11 AM
The Elite Ygseto Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to The Elite Ygseto Send a message via MSN to The Elite Ygseto Send a message via Yahoo to The Elite Ygseto

Eh... the name is kinda weird. I was expecting it to be similalr to Soodawudoo (SP?).

My Trading Shop
White Friend Code: 0819-3051-3379
White Pokedex Obtained: 151(U)/442(N)

Pokemon I've Recently Breed, PM for trades
- Zorua w/ Dark Pulse, Timid and Naive
- Deino w/ Dark Pulse, Timid and Modest
- Panpour w/ Nasty Plot, Random Natures
Old 06-21-2005, 04:18 AM
Jack of Clovers Offline
~lil leprechaun~

Send a message via ICQ to Jack of Clovers Send a message via AIM to Jack of Clovers Send a message via MSN to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Yahoo to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Skype™ to Jack of Clovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudowoodo
Hep Lep i would read a few books before buying that Bonsai tree cos they are quite tricky to keep alive!
so I've heard. which is one of the reasons why I haven't bought one yet. I don't really have much time. but I know in the future I will get one.
Quote:
Eh... the name is kinda weird. I was expecting it to be similalr to Soodawudoo (SP?).
Magikarp isn't similar to Gyarados. oh, and let's not forget Remoraid/Octillery. I still like Seedoweedo as a better name

~Jack~

-| Links |-
Old 06-21-2005, 10:32 AM
Neptune's Disciple Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neptune's Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_leprachaun33
Magikarp isn't similar to Gyarados. oh, and let's not forget Remoraid/Octillery. I still like Seedoweedo as a better name

~Jack~
Yeh, but also look at how different they are in appearance. I mean, a pathetic little fish, then BAM! Its a giant blue dragon? And again with a little blueish fish to a beasty red Octopus. But Bonsly and Sudowoodo? They do look similar, yet their names are completely different... Meditate on this I shall
Old 06-21-2005, 10:35 PM
masterryanx Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to masterryanx Send a message via Skype™ to masterryanx

Bonsly makes a little sense but not much.... i liked usohatchi better but i geuss we just have to live with bonsly.....
Old 06-22-2005, 09:19 PM
Dark Blaziken Offline
New Trainer

Rayquaza's name must've originated from Quazar. Anyway, Bonsley is a cute name. I think I actually know someone named Bonsley. XD

Hatches @ 50 posts
Evolves to Combusken @ 83 posts
Evolves to Blaziken @ 143 posts
Level 100 @ 335 posts

Elibe Clan Wars
Old 06-23-2005, 12:49 PM
Missingno mystery Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Blaziken
Rayquaza's name must've originated from Quazar. Anyway, Bonsley is a cute name. I think I actually know someone named Bonsley. XD
(Yeah, I already said that about Rayquaza) Finally someone else who thinks Bonsly is an appropriate name. I know it doesn't match Sudowoodo, but it make sense. If you go back and look at the first gen's names you'll notice how uncreative some of them are too, and how unmatching a few are: Growlithe-Arcanine, Meowth-Persian, Vulpix-Ninetales, Ponyta-Rapidash, Voltorb-Electrode, Drowzee-Hypno, Mankey-Primeape, Seel-Dewgong, Aerodactyl, Farfetch'd, Lickitung, Tauros, Ditto, etc...
Old 06-24-2005, 09:03 AM
Dr Skottie Offline

Send a message via MSN to Dr Skottie

Its explained all through the 1st page what Bonsly means.

- Bonsai : (the art of growing miniature trees in japan)
- Sly : (sneaky, false)

merge the the two together to create... Bonsly! which rhymes with Bonsai.

Bonsly: A sneaky little tree
Sudowoodo: A false piece of wood.

They are false and sneaky cuz Bonsly and Sudowoodo are rock types, even though they look like grass types. So they are OBVIOUSLY connected. just cuz they don't rhyme don't mean they're not connected.

Yes it's a play on words, most of the pokemon names are.

Pikachu and Raichu are the original japanese names. "Pika" is the japanese word for the sound electricity makes. English speaking people say "zap" or "Bzzz". Now the word "chu" is the japanese word for the sound a mouse makes. In America, Australia, England, Canada etc we say "squeak" for the sound a mouse makes. So in english it would be something like: Zapsqueak! i prefer Pikachu anyday :P

Now I won't even pretend to know what "Rai" means, but it must be connected in someway to electricity cuz of both Raichu and Raikou.

Well I hope that has cleared some stuff up for you people.